Farmers Market Websites are developed, designed, maintained & supported by Heron Designs. You can view some of our other work here. We’ve been designing pretty cool stuff – both in print and online – as a company since 2001, and as designers since 1987.
In 2008, Heron Design principals Paul and Leslie Smith began working with the Chattanooga Market – Leslie as art director/designer and Paul as general manager. We learned farmers market operations inside and out, and met great people from all over the country. Since Leslie still ran our design firm, we were often asked to provide website and design services for other farmers markets and farms. Unfortunately, the cost to develop a custom website is often too expensive for a farmers market budget, but building a website and learning how to keep it up-to-date is too time consuming for a busy market manager.
So an idea was born:
What if, using our market knowledge and design skills, we could develop complete, easy to maintain websites for farmers markets at an affordable cost?
And here it is: We start with pre-designed looks to offer affordable websites as monthly subscriptions. We’ll set up your website for you in WordPress, fill in your content, and get your site completely up and running.
Once your site is live, we keep the underlying code, the WordPress core and site plugins, updated. You update your site’s content as needed – with ongoing support from us. Your back-end admin area is simple and easy-to-use, with videos and written tutorials, and if you have questions, we provide ongoing WordPress support – ask us as many questions as you need, and no question is too dumb – for as long as you keep your subscription.
Who is this for?
- If you are a one-person once-a-week market with less than 10 regular vendors – and don’t intend to grow – this probably is above your budget.
- If you are a 100-vendor market with a different special event every week, this probably isn’t custom enough for you.
- If you are a mid-sized market with regular customers and vendors and occasional special events, this is perfect for you.
- If your website is less than 20 pages but it’s too complicated for you to update, this is definitely for you.
- If the website for your market was created by a volunteer in 2003 but your customers and vendors still visit the site hoping to glean any useful information – and leave frustrated every time, this is for you.
How much does this cost?
Your setup cost depends on what you need, with setup fees ranging from $397 – $597. After your website is created, your cost is $49.99 per month for your website hosting subscription. (That’s only five extra vendors per month at $10 each, or two website sponsors at $25 each – and it doesn’t begin to take into account how much your time is worth!)